Northern Lights, A Phoenix Rising from the Ashes
By: Emily Koehler
With the Michigan cannabis industry currently raging against the “little guys”, it’s wonderful to see those who were once caregiver growers evolve into a licensed brand amongst the bigger cannabis companies that dominate the sector. Recently, I had the opportunity to meet with Mike, the founder and longtime operator of Northern Lights Chocolate, to learn more about his company, vision, and products. At one time, Northern Lights Chocolate was a staple in the pre-licensed medical market that ruled Michigan cannabis for over a decade and could be found in many stores around the state. Now, after a short absence from going through an arduous licensing process, they’re back on the scene and making a splash with their innovative marketing.
Northern Lights has always produced high end chocolate bars that focus on consistency and quality; however, with the relaunch into the licensed scene, they’ve rebranded the bars to include effects. Since all bodies react differently to cannabinoids and terpenes, using indica/sativa/hybrid nomenclature doesn’t always give a clear picture of what consumers will feel. Rather than using that typical delineation that many cannabis products rely on, Northern Lights FX is combining their high grade cannabis hash oil with other compounds to help produce distinct effects. Rather than confusing users with cannabis-specific nomenclature, Mike thought it was crucial to help users identify the products best for them based on what they hope to experience. Out of this, a chocolate bar line with six different effects was born. Each candy bar is made from real milk chocolate with a 35% cocoa base sourced from France, and utilizes a first-run winterized hash oil. This makes the product more full spectrum with a mild cannabis flavor. Each bar is scored into 20, 5mg pieces, making it easy to calculate and titrate your perfect dose.
- Classic: 100mg of THC for the “classic” feeling we all know and love.
- Daytime: Contains 20mg of caffeine per 5mg of THC. Great energy boost, but imperative to monitor dosing. For scale, the average cup of coffee has roughly 80mg of caffeine per cup.
- Love: Utilizes plant-based medicines, like muira puama and ashwagandha as an aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, and anti-anxiety. Not only is this bar great for sharing with a partner to set the mood, but as a token of love for yourself by helping to take the edge off of daily life.
- Focus: Utilizes three different plant-based nootropics (herbs and plant extracts that have been evaluated for their ability to enhance cognition) to offer a feeling of focus without jitters.
- Snooze: An evening blend that uses 2.5mg melatonin per 5mg of THC.
- Relax: A balanced blend with equal parts CBD and THC (1:1).
Although each of our endocannabinoid systems responds differently to products, the addition of “effects” takes some of the trial and error out of finding your perfect product. If you’re looking to add an edible into your life, consider by asking yourself “what am I hoping to experience from this?” If the answer is any of the six effects listed above, do yourself a favor, skip the guesswork, and give a Northern Lights chocolate bar a shot.
Call Center Manager
At 27 Emily Koehler is already a cannabis industry veteran. This hardcore cannabis enthusiast and aficionado is looking to break the negative stigma attached to the industry & show that it is full of compassionate people that are working hard to improve others’ quality of life. Emily is also known as the “Queen of Blunts” by her friends and loves pet weasels.